Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winter Walking

Today was one of those beautiful winter days that just about take my breath away.  The thinnest top layer of snow had frozen overnight, so the morning sun created an amazing dazzle of light.  The sky was clear, cloudless, and an indescribable blue.  All of us commented on how beautiful it was on our ride to church this morning.

Theresa had some things to do after church, and I didn't feel like waiting.  It was too nice outside!  So I talked Nick into joining me and we walked toward home.  The walk just magnified the beauty of the day.

After a few minutes I didn't notice the cold, even though it was about 25 and there was a bit of a breeze.  The smell of the clean, crisp air, the crunching sounds of our steps in the snow, and the brilliance of the sun  made for a wonderful sensory experience.

We had walked about a mile and a half when Theresa drove by and gave us a ride the last half mile home.  Even though the walk was beautiful, the ride was welcome.  My ears were starting to get cold.

Nick and I talked about hiking plans for the summer while we walked.  It's fun to make backpacking plans during a cold winter's walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment